We thought it would be interesting to throw a poll to you lads about whether the new Jimny is a worthy 4X4 or a girls car... and to our surprise it really split the room.
After 2500+ votes the score came in and it was 49.6% Girls Car & 50.4% Solid Rig. This is incredibly close, so lets have a look at both sides of the fence here.
The Jimny's compact size and unique design have led some individuals to question its place in the rugged world of 4WDs, while others argue that its exceptional performance and capabilities should earn it a spot among the best.
The Skeptics' View: An Unworthy Rig
Many Aussie's who have a passion for 4WDs often dismiss the Suzuki Jimny as a "girls car." Their skepticism primarily stems from the following reasons:
- Size and Capacity: The Jimny's compact dimensions and limited seating capacity of four passengers may be seen as inadequate for a true 4x4 experience. Many traditional off-road enthusiasts prefer larger vehicles with more space for gear, additional passengers, and towing capacity.
- Power and Torque: Critics argue that the Jimny's 1.5-liter engine, though fuel-efficient, lacks the power and torque needed to conquer challenging terrains. They believe that a "real" 4x4 should possess greater horsepower and torque, allowing for confident off-road performance and towing capabilities.
- Suspension and Ground Clearance: The Jimny's relatively small ground clearance and basic suspension system are often cited as drawbacks by skeptics. They argue that a true 4x4 should have higher ground clearance to navigate rough terrains and more advanced suspension components to handle demanding off-road conditions.
The Advocates' View: Performance Earns Its Place
On the other hand, there is a growing community that firmly believes the Suzuki Jimny is a worthy 4x4 with a significant off-road pedigree. Here are the points that support this perspective:
- Off-Road Capability: Despite its compact size, the Jimny boasts impressive off-road capabilities. Its lightweight construction, combined with a sturdy ladder frame chassis, provides excellent agility and manoeuvrability in tight spaces. Its narrow body allows it to tackle narrow tracks and explore remote locations that larger 4x4s might struggle to access.
- Modifiability: The Jimny's popularity among off-road enthusiasts can be attributed to its modifiability. The aftermarket industry offers a wide range of accessories and modifications specifically designed for the Jimny, allowing owners to enhance its capabilities and personalise it according to their preferences.
- Fuel Efficiency: While some criticise the Jimny's engine for its relatively low power output, its modest size also contributes to impressive fuel efficiency. This factor makes it an appealing choice for those who prioritise eco-consciousness and affordability without compromising off-road performance.
The debate surrounding the Jimny's status as a worthy 4x4 or merely a "girls car" reveals a divide among blokes. Ultimately, whether one views the Jimny as a worthy 4x4 or not depends on individual preferences, needs, and intended use in the diverse world of off-roading. Just remember, we all agree not to get a GWM!
Want to talk shit about cars? Head over to the Blokes Advice Facebook Group - it's 100% male, and a private group so brace yourself for some old fashion banter, laughs, and the help a fellow bloke out from time to time.